- National, state, and local educational technology leader, presenting over 60 workshops, conference sessions, and seminars
- Technology experiences ranges from instructional design to classroom implementation to a BYOD pilot program to IT consulting
- Google Certified Teacher since 2007
- Significant experience integrating technology into the K12 social studies classroom, including WebQuests, wikis, social networking, Google products, blogs, podcasts, and digital video production
LEADERSHIP & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Grossmont Union High School District / West Hills High School Technology Leader
- Accreditation Coordinator (School) – Oversaw the full accreditation of the school (WASC) while utilizing Google Docs, Forms, and Sites to collect, analyze, and present the final report.
- Google Apps Integration Team (District) – Helping develop plan and training for roll of Google Apps to 25,000 students and 1,000 teachers (2010-11).
- Tech Practices Committee (District) – This committee oversees district-wide issues and concerns regarding the rollout of new technologies on both an IT and instructional level.
- BYOD / iPod Pilot Program Lead (School / District) – Established a BYOD program pilot program supplemented with classroom iPods.
- Online Learning Committee (District) – Created plan for upcoming Grossmont District online learning school.
- BTSA Technology Coordinator (District) – Develop and deliver technology instruction for new teachers (2010-11).
- Lead District Technology Instructor (District) – Helped plan program for social science and general sessions and led the training for teacher laptop rollout programs (1999, 2003, 2006-07, 2009-10).
- Technology Coordinator (School) – Planned and implemented numerous onsite technology workshops, developed staff website model, oversaw the training and integration of response systems.
- Interview Panelist (School) – Participated in interview panels for all social science positions since 2002 and the 2009 principal panel.
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) Coordinator (School / District) – Planned and established Digital Imagery Pathway at West Hills High School in conjunction with district ROP/CTE office.
- Master Teacher (School) – Served as a master teacher to four student teachers.
Technology Professional Development Presentations and Workshops
Over 70 presentations and workshops since 1996, recent presentations include:
- Mobile Madness: Strategies for Teacher Learning and Productivity, GUHSD (August 2012), SDCUE (November 2012)
- Unleash Google Docs in the Classroom, GUHSD (July 2012, October 2012, November 2012)
- Technology Integration for a 1-to-1 Program, International School of Beijing (April 2012)
- Google Teacher Workshop, San Diego Child’s School (August 2011), Encinitas School District, (August 2011), Cleveland State University (January 2012)
- The Digital Natives are Restless, GUHSD BTSA (August 2011, May 2012, July 2012, November 2012)
- Collaborative Essays in Google Docs, ISTE (2011) in the Google Vender Booth
- Facebook Nation, SDCUE (2010), CAL (2011)
- How Google Changed Everything, SDSU Educational Technology Alumni Event (2011)
- Teacher Websites and More: Just Add Google, SDCUE (2010), CADA (2011), BTSA (2011, Spring 2012)
- Motivate the Millennials, SDCUE (2010), BTSA (2011, Spring 2012)
- Choose Your Own Wiki Adventure, NCSS (2007), NECC (2006)
- Teaching the Holocaust with Technology, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and SDSU (2007)
A complete list available at http://ahistoryteacher.com
EDUCATIONAL, CURRICULAR, & TECHNOLOGY CONSULTING EXPERIENCE
PBS Education and Curriculum Consultant (2007 – present)
- Educational Director for KCET Andrew Jackson Documentary Web Site and DVD-ROM (2007 – 2008)
- ITV World Without Oil curriculum development (2008)
- BBC Story of India curriculum development (2008 – 2009)
- WWII: Behind Closed Doors website producer and curriculum development (2009)
- When Worlds Collide (2010)
- The Banjo Project curriculum development (2012)
PBS Teachers Advisory Board Member (2006 – 2009)
Instructional Designer (2000 – present)
- Experience includes conducting needs analysis, designing solution systems, usability testing, and project implementation.
Web Designer (1998 – present)
- Design and create educational and commercial web sites and customize open source content management systems.
Social Media Experience
- Maintain extensive professional learning network through use of Twitter (2007 – present)
- One of the first educational technology bloggers, topics cover educational technology and general educational issues (2004 – present)
- Maintain classroom, school, club, and personal Facebook accounts (2010 – present)
Social Studies Teacher (1996 – present)
West Hills High School, Santee, CA
- Curricular subjects developed and taught include AP World History, Photography, Advanced Photography, CP/AA World History, CP United States History, Humanities, Geography, Journalism, Web Design, and Technology Fundamentals
- Club Advisor, including: Class of 2014, Photography, Debate, and World Cultures
- West Hills Web Manager (2007 – present)
- School Newspaper Advisor (1997 – 2000)
- Coordinate annual field trips for 150+ students and a trip to Europe with 25 students (2012)
Classroom Technology Integration
Technology strategies integrated into social science classroom include:
- iPods and BYOD (select apps, Socrative, Google Apps)
- Implemented flipped classroom model
- Comprehensive classroom website since 1997 (html, WordPress, Wikispaces, Joomla, Google Sites – current)
- Student publishing (blogs, Google Sites, wikis)
- Video and audio productions (iMovie, Flip cameras, HD cameras)
- Digital story telling using wikis, Google Forms
- Collaborative document creation (Google Docs and Google Sites)
- Information / data collection with Google Forms
- Numerous Web 2.0 applications (Animoto, StoryJumper, Glogster, ToonDoo, and more)
- Screencasting for skill reinforcement
Lecturer (2006 – present)
San Diego State University, Department of Educational Technology
- Developed and taught ET 570: Advanced Technology for Teachers (2011, Summer 2012, Spring 2013)
- Taught ET 470: Technology for Teachers (2010)
- Developed and taught ET 700: Educational Podcasting (2010, 2011,2012)
- Developed and taught ET700: Advanced Digital Video Seminar (2006, 2007)
- Taught ET541: Web Based Multimedia Development (2007, 2009)
- How Teachers Can Make the Most of When Worlds Collide, EDSITEment Website (October 2010)
- Teaching World History in the Digital Age, PBS Teachers Media Infusion Blog (January 2009)
- Digital Media Literacy and WebQuests, PBS Teachers Media Infusion Blog (May 2007)
- Knowledge Management for K-12 Teachers, Educational Technology Magazine (2007)
- Ask a Mentor, Teacher Magazine (2006)
- Modern World History (2004) and Western Civilization Curriculum Guides (2003), Teaching Point Publishing. Yearlong curriculum includes daily lesson plans, projects, lectures, handouts, and exams
- ahistoryteacher.com (1996 – present), Online portfolio
- ahistoryteacher.com/wordpress (2004 – 2010), Semi-regularly updated blog
AWARDS, GRANTS, AND AFFLIATIONS
- Grossmont Union High School District Teacher of the Year (2008)
- West Hills High School Teacher of the Year (2008)
- Google Certified Teacher (2007)
- Innovation in Teaching Award, GUHSD (Nov. 2006)
- SDSU Honor Graduate Representative, Department of Educational Technology (2006)
- Best Buy Teach Grant (2003, 2007, 2009)
- NEA Innovation Grant (2003)
- San Diego Computer Using Educators Grant (2000, 2004)
- Classroom Connect Western Region Internet Educator of the Year (2002)
- San Diego County Office of Education Resolution for Technology Integration (2002)
- Target Scholarship for Educational Technology Masters Program (2001)
- San Diego County Journalism Teacher of the Year (2000)
- Computer-Using Educators Member (1997 – present), Vice President of San Diego CUE (2004 – 2005)
- International Society of Instructional Technologists Member (2006 – present)
- California Council for the Social Studies Member (1998 – present)
- The San Diego Center for Economics Education Board Member (2000 – present)